Why we're here:
This blog is to highlight the unjust persecution of legitimate non-TV users at the hands of TV Licensing. These people do not require a licence and are entitled to live without the unnecessary stress and inconvenience caused by TV Licensing's correspondence and employees.

If you use equipment to receive live broadcast television programmes then the law requires you to have a licence and we encourage you to buy one.

Sunday, 29 November 2015

Jimmy Savile: Damning BBC Report Kept on Ice

Disgraced entertainer Jimmy Savile sexually assaulted a teenager live on Top Of The Pops, right under the noses of his BBC bosses.

Sylvia Edwards, who had just recently turned 18, was a member of the Top Of The Pops audience during a 1986 episode of the hit music show. The programme was made at the now-defunct BBC Television Centre in West London.

The image above shows the moment Savile, who committed dozens of sex crimes during his time at the BBC, reached into the skirt of the clearly embarrassed teenager. She yelps and shuffles with discomfort, before the perverted entertainer reached back for another grope.

In the moments after this incident Sylvia went to report Savile's assault to a headset-wearing man standing behind a camera. To her astonishment her concerns were callously dismissed as "just what Jimmy Savile does".

Reliving her experience in a Sky News interview, she said: "I felt his (Savile's) hand go underneath and I jumped up, but when I went to sit back down again - because I couldn't go anywhere - his hand was still there. I was trying to push it away, but he wouldn't move it...

"I found this man next to a camera and I said 'he's really filthy, he's put his hand up my skirt' and he said 'oh, no - don't be so stupid - that's just Jimmy Savile'."

It is now more than three years since then Director General George Entwistle asked former High Court Judge Dame Janet Smith to conduct a thorough and impartial review into a catalogue of sex crimes behind the doors of the BBC.

After several questionable delays Dame Janet's report is now completed and stored under lock and key. The BBC, for reasons we can only speculate, refuses to allow the final document into the public spotlight, despite the public knowing fine well the highly critical findings - that senior BBC managers of the time had grave concerns about Savile, but turned a blind eye.

The final report has been cleverly written to negate Metropolitan Police concerns that it may prejudice ongoing criminal investigations. Many journalists are now of the opinion that the BBC is deliberately stalling the publication of the report's damning conclusions until after it has agreed the terms of its next Royal Charter.

In a desperate act of self-preservation the BBC would rather keep the report hush hush than face a collapse in public and Parliamentary support, and confidence, when the truth is finally revealed.

Enough deceit and prevarication: It's now time for the BBC to come clean over the Dame Janet Smith Review findings. If the BBC doesn't publish the report voluntarily then the Government needs to step in and order it to do so.

The clock is ticking.

BBC Airbrushes Savile and Travis from Top Of The Pops Repeats

The BBC will drop almost a third of episodes when it broadcasts a repeat series of Top Of The Pops next year.

Seventeen episodes of the hit music show will be pulled from the 1981 series re-run, out of a total of fifty-four. The remaining shows will be broadcast on graveyard channel, BBC Four, where very few people are likely to notice them anyway.

Those episodes facing the axe were fronted by sexual predators Jimmy Savile and Dave Lee Travis, who both had a bit of a thing about groping younger members of the studio audience.

Savile fronted eight episodes of 1981 series, with Travis featuring in most of the others. The 1981 Christmas special was co-presented by both Savile and Travis. Gary Glitter, a convicted child sex offender, performed in another of the 1981 shows, which is also expected to be omitted from the schedule.

In related news, it is reported that the BBC is planning a new Top Of The Pops replacement show. BBC bosses Ben Cooper and Bob Shennan are said to be in talks with industry experts about the development of a new chart music show aimed at the over-25s.

Cooper, the Controller of BBC Radio 1 and 1Xtra, told the Independent: "I am working hard with Bob Shennan, asking, 'What are the ingredients that would work for today?'

"When people ask about whether Top Of The Pops is coming back, what they are really saying is, 'When can we get a once-a-week primetime BBC One music slot?'

"I have had this conversation with agents, independent production companies, and with Simon Cowell a few weeks back."

In is understood that, for obvious reasons, the new show will not be called Top Of The Pops.

BBC Three to Vanish from Airwaves

The BBC Trust has formally approved proposals to move BBC Three online.

The BBC first announced plans to axe the broadcast channel in early 2014. At the time the BBC claimed the move would result in an annual saving of £50m, of which £30m would be reinvested into drama on flagship channel BBC One.

The Corporation will not now introduce a BBC One +1 service as originally expected.

BBC Three was launched in early 2003 and its audience share has steadily grown to 1.2%. The channel, which provides innovative content to younger viewers, is watched by a quarter of viewers between the ages of 16 to 24. More than 300,000 BBC Three supporters signed a petition against its banishment into cyberspace, but the Trust has decided to press ahead regardless.

The Trust has reviewed the BBC's initial proposals and introduced conditions to mitigate the loss of the broadcast channel. In particular, it has included:
  • A condition requiring BBC Three programmes to be broadcast on BBC One/Two, has been strengthened so that all BBC Three long-form programmes must be broadcast in slots on BBC One and Two, on an ongoing basis, effective immediately on closure of the BBC Three TV channel.
  • A condition that BBC Three long-form programmes must be broadcast on both BBC One and Two at a variety of times across the schedule and throughout the UK.
  • A condition requiring BBC One and Two to offer programmes specifically aimed at younger audiences, including the BBC Three programmes, now requires the channels to offer distinctive programmes designed for younger audiences, including the long-form BBC Three programmes.
The Trust also requires BBC One and Two to fill the void left by BBC Three by creative risk-taking and experimenting with new talent and ideas.

There will be a phased transition between the broadcast and online versions of BBC Three in early 2016. The new BBC Three online service should be fully operational by the end of February 2016.

Of course now that Family Guy is on BBC Two, is there really a need for BBC Three at all?

Probably not, in our opinion!

Edit: We are grateful to a reader for highlighting the fact that ITV recently won the rights to broadcast all new Family Guy episodes.