Despite the breadth of TV Licensing information available on the web there are some people who would rather call TV Licensing and speak to a person.
TV Licensing is a trading name used by the companies contracted by the BBC to undertake TV licence enforcement and administration work. The contractor responsible for call handling is Capita Business Services Ltd. Calls to TV Licensing's 0300 790 6131 number, which can also be used for goon fishing reports, cost the same as calls to a standard geographic number.
Anyone calling TV Licensing for "assistance" faces a baffling array of 71 options spread over 7 different menus. Depending on the nature of their enquiry that could mean a caller faces almost two minutes of irritating menu options before being connected in the right direction. In all likelihood they will then have to wait even longer for a call handler to become available.
Full details of all the menu options can be viewed on the Please Press 1 website, but we will summarise the most important information below.
The quickest way of speaking to a TV Licensing call handler is the following:
- Call 0300 790 6131.
- Listen to the 30 second welcome message (tortuous, but you can't do anything else at this stage).
- As soon as the voice begins to read out the first menu options press 5.
- As soon as the voice begins to read out the second menu options press 5.
- As soon as the voice begins to read out the third menu options press 3.
- As soon as the voice begins to read out the fourth menu options press 2.
- Your call will then be connected to a person who will attempt, probably very poorly, to answer your specific TV Licensing questions.